WORK WITH US
Summer crew positions are posted each December for the following year. You can scroll through testimonials from past crew members below. Other positions are posted as they become available. Fill out the form below to be added to our volunteer mailing list!
Volunteer with the Sawtooth Association!
SIHA is always looking for help to expand our reach! Here are just a few areas of focus. Sign up below!
If you would like more details you can call us at 208-774-3517 (summer only).
- Maintaining and repairing facilities and grounds
- Cataloging artifacts
- Organizing photographs, and maintaining the yard
- Working the museum desk, to sell maps and books and answer visitors questions
- Cleaning and maintaining the facility
- Working the visitor desk, to sell maps and books and answer visitors questions
- Helping to set up and take down the tent and chairs at the museum
- Staff the book table
- Providing housing for speakers
2023 Summer Crew Opportunities
Our summer 2023 positions are open until filled. See details below for specific opportunities
Priority consideration will be given to applicants of the positions below who submit all requested documents by January 31, 2023. Complete applications must include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional/academic references.
- Accepting Applications – Naturalist – works as part of team to operate the Visitor Center, provide daily interpretive programs, staff trailhead portals and more!
- Accepting Applications – Historic Specialist – works together to operate the Museum, creates exhibit and works on preservation projects.
- POSITION FILLED –
Museum Docent– manages daily operations and collections at the Stanley Museum with the historic specialist.
- POSITION FILLED –
Summer Programs Coordinator – manages daily operations at the Redfish Visitor Center & Gallery, assists with Stanley Museum operations and supervises summer crew.
Well, this isn’t exactly the location but a quick five mile hike will get you to here. Working in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area (NRA) in Stanley, Idaho offers a great opportunity for someone seeking a summer experience in a unique and spectacular setting. The Sawtooth NRA encompasses 756,000 acres in the “Heart of Idaho” where rugged peaks, alpine lakes, free running streams and breath-taking scenery abound. This stunning landscape inspires quiet introspection and observation as well as offers unlimited opportunities for hiking, fishing, mountain biking, camping, boating, and many other recreational activities.
(relevant to all positions)
- Research, develop, and present specialized interpretive programs relevant to the visiting public of the Sawtooth NRA, including but not limited to guided walks, Junior Ranger activities, discovery stations, patio talks, boat tours, trailhead portals and evening programs. Locations may include the Redfish Center, Stanley Lake, the Stanley Museum, or other venues. Assess and modify programs, as needed.
- Provide information about the area and trip planning assistance at the Redfish Center and Stanley Museum.
- Assist with sales of SIHA maps, guide books, educational books and gifts and related items at the Redfish Center and Stanley Museum.
- Coordinate one SIHA event (assigned at beginning of season). Strategic “blueprints” for each event are provided.
- Advertise for SIHA events (through creating and posting fliers, social media, and word-of-mouth).
- Participate in SIHA community events focused on providing education on natural and cultural resources and environmental awareness.
- Attend and participate in training sessions/seminars.
- Attend Forum & Lecture Series each Friday.
- Participate in outreach to develop and maintain partnerships
- Complete SIHA paperwork accurately and ontime(time sheets, program number records, etc).
- Participate in daily, weekly, and seasonal cleaning/maintenance procedures to keep everything in working order. This includes seasonal opening and closing duties.
- Wear facemask during working hours and follow all procedures, regulations, and safety measures put in place related to COVID-19.